Gingham Maternity Top

By Cedar | December 7, 2010

Thank you everyone for all your nice messages after yesterday’s post. I really appreciate all the nice things you have to say and your words of advice. As many of you suggested I plan on looking for another doctor. This doctor was not who will be delivering the baby–but filled in for him because my appointment had to be rescheduled. I had seen her once before though, and would prefer not to see her at all again.

Anyway, on to lighter subjects. I actually finished this maternity outfit about two weeks ago. This was my first time sewing pleats, and was quite nervous before I actually started. They turned out to be a lot easier than I expected. The skirt has a kangaroo type cut out and tie strings to keep it up over my growing belly.

I finally got my hair cut. I didn’t cut it quite as short as the photo I posted last week, maybe next time. I did end up cutting my bangs, but not all of them. I thinned them out a lot and plan on growing the longer bits out. I need to try some different curler settings on it to see what works best, but I am quite happy to have it short again!

13 Responses to “Gingham Maternity Top”

1. Diana Horel Says:
    December 7th, 2010 at 6:52 pm

Like the top and the hair. Is your nose pierced? Hadn’t noticed before.

2. Kelli Maielli Says:
    December 7th, 2010 at 7:00 pm

I love your hair, and you look beautiful! It’s completely awesome that you’re making your own maternity clothes…you’re so inspiring!

3. Cedar Says:
    December 7th, 2010 at 7:06 pm

Diana- Yes my nose is pierced, twice actually!

Kelli- Thank you, it is a lot of work, but very much worth it!

4. theretrohomemaker Says:
    December 7th, 2010 at 7:30 pm

Nice! I love both your hairstyle and your top, you are glowing!

5. Rachel Says:
    December 7th, 2010 at 7:34 pm

You look gorgeous! You are wearing your pregnancy so well – you look glowing! (I know that sounds cliched, but it is true).

I read your last past – as someone who is also having a baby at the moment, I completely agree with everyone else – I think you should shop around for a doctor you feel comfortable with. And I hope friday’s ultrasound is very exciting for you — what a wonderful experience you will be sure to have watching your little darling up on the screen. Best of luck.

6. Nathalie Says:
    December 8th, 2010 at 2:46 am

Over from Sew Retro to say, what a cute outfit! You make me so retrospectively envious for sewing your own maternity wear! My last pregnancy was only 8 years ago, but I hadn’t started sewing for myself at the time and I remember how horrible it was looking for stuff in the shops…

Can’t offer any advice about doctors in the US as I’m UK-based, but I can understand the frustrations of the delay. In my case, they were caused by my daughter who had her legs folded over in such a way that made it impossible to see whether she was ‘with’ or ‘without’… And we didn’t know for sure until the day she came out!

7. Jane Says:
    December 8th, 2010 at 3:23 am

Beautiful maternity top – I love gingham! You look great in it. Jane x
    PS. Good luck with the scan on Friday.

8. Natasha Says:
    December 8th, 2010 at 4:17 am

Halo from Malaysia :D

I really love your style!

9. Brittany-Va-Voom Vintage Says:
    December 8th, 2010 at 3:54 pm

How awesome that you are sewing your own maternity clothes too! I’m 21 weeks pregnant with baby #2 and I’m also diving into the fun world of vintage maternity! It made me nervous at first, I was scared I’d look like I was wearing a sack but so far, so good! I haven’t tried any of the kangaroo skirts yet. Do they fit and wear well?

10. Cedar Says:
    December 8th, 2010 at 6:04 pm

Thank you everyone for your nice comments!

Brittany- So far the skirt (and the pants) seem to be wearing quite well. I am only 20 weeks along though, so it is hard to tell how they will be when I grow bigger. They are very comfortable and stay up well. I usually wear a long tank top under the top which covers my belly in the open pouch area, which works well for me.

11. Brittany-Va-Voom Vintage Says:
    December 8th, 2010 at 7:43 pm

Thanks! I have a few patterns for skirts and pants. I’ll have to whip up a pair and give it a whirl. I will take your advice on the tank top, for sure! :)

12. One Little Window Says:
    December 12th, 2010 at 3:08 am

That’ so completely lovely! I’ve thought about sewing maternity – I so rarely comment on blogs, but I just couldn’t help it. I really just love this, you did such a great job. Plus – I’m about to cut my hair short and you’ve totally inspired me!!! Thank you for posting and sharing on Sew Retro!

About the doctor thing – when I was pregnant with my son I realized I just couldn’t deal with the doctors, and I actually ended up researching and found out that in many ways, for us, a homebirth was actually safer. So we found amazing midwives who let us pay (on a sliding scale) over lots of installments… When my son was born we called him roofy… because the money to fix the roof mostly went to paying for the birth! :) haha.. Totally worth it though. I’d rather have a tarp forever. Anyhoo – just wanted to send support as I remember that process and how difficult it is to find the right caregiver, it’s really too bad insurance doesn’t offer more (and cheaper) options.

13. Sanne Says:
    December 16th, 2010 at 3:57 am

What a lovely outfit, I love the top, well done. :)

Comments