Pregnancy Update

By Cedar | December 6, 2010

Sorry for the lack of updates over the past week. I have been feeling pretty stressed, which then caused me to get a pretty bad cold over the weekend. Because of that I have been laying kind of low when it comes to the internet lately.

Last Thursday I had thought was the day of the big ultrasound to find out the gender of the baby, but after arriving at the doctor we found out there was some confusion with the scheduling. I was able to get another appointment to go in this coming Friday, but the whole experience left me feeling quite sad–which I know is silly, but I think I had worked myself up to such excitement that when I couldn’t find out I did feel pretty blue. On top of the disappointment the doctor I saw was quite short with Russ and I about this confusion. Somehow she made me feel like I was stupid for not understanding how this whole pregnancy thing works. The whole thing left me with a really bad taste in my mouth.

Stressful thing #2. Even before I got pregnant I had been doing research on midwives and had been planning on going that route with the delivery. After checking out a birth center in the area and a call to my insurance company, I sadly found out that my insurance won’t cover a midwife. This was quite a blow as it is what I have had in my head for the duration of the pregnancy thus far, and is especially disappointing after the experience with the rude doctor.

Anyway, I hate to sound so mopey in my post. I do have a lot to be grateful–the most important being the healthy baby growing in my tummy! I am trying not to get quite so excited this time around for the ultrasound on Friday, but I’m not sure I can really keep myself calm, it is just such an exciting thing. I do have two finished maternity outfits and a new haircut I need to get photos of. I will try to get those up in the next few days. I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend!

9 Responses to “Pregnancy Update”

1. Caitlin Says:
    December 6th, 2010 at 5:55 pm

I know how disappointing that must have been to not have your ultrasound that day. The morning I was scheduled for my ultrasound, the doctor’s office called and said that the doctor was delivering a baby so I’d have to reschedule for the next week. I had been so excited about that appointment and it was so disappointing!

2. Ally Says:
    December 6th, 2010 at 5:58 pm

I’m sorry to hear you’re not having the best time at the moment!!

Do you have the opportunity to find a new doctor? Or does this doctor hold a monopoly in your area? Not that I’ve ever been pregnant, but I imagine you want to have a good relationship with her, not someone who makes you so uncomfortable!

Good luck, belle :)

3. Laura Says:
    December 6th, 2010 at 6:07 pm

I agree with Ally, it seems like it is time to start looking for a new doctor. While it may not be the avenue you wanted, I am sure that there are better doctors out there for you.

4. Ivy Says:
    December 6th, 2010 at 6:42 pm

I would totally feel the exact same way in your shoes. Hope things get better, you’re in my thoughts. There’s nothing worse than having an icky doctor.

5. theretrohomemaker Says:
    December 6th, 2010 at 8:08 pm

I’m so sorry you couldn’t find out the gender today, Cedar! I agree with the previous posters: no care practioner should make you feel uncomfortable! I’m sorry to hear your insurance won’t cover midwifery care…

6. Trixie Says:
    December 6th, 2010 at 8:31 pm

I’m sorry things aren’t going great for your pregnancy. Have you asked midwives how much their total fee is? My midwife’s fee wound up being the same as what I would have been my portion for going to the hospital.

7. Jasmine Says:
    December 7th, 2010 at 7:23 pm

Ditto on the above commenter–I actually paid less out of pocket going to the midwife by FAR than I would have paid had I gone to an insurance-covered doctor and had a hospital delivery. Plus, the midwife gave us her fees up front, which allowed us to plan out our finances in advance for the cost of delivery. As an added bonus, midwives are (IMO) so much less stressful–and who needs any more stress when they’re pregnant, in labor, or a newly minted mommy?

8. Cedar Says:
    December 7th, 2010 at 7:36 pm

Thanks everyone for your nice comments! I do plan on requesting not to see that doctor again in the future. She is not the regular doctor I have been seeing, and I am still not sure why I have seen her twice now…

I really, really wish I could go the midwife route. With our insurance though we pay nothing out of pocket for a hospital delivery, and the prenatal care. We aren’t really in a position financially to pay for the midwife on our own, so hospital it is! It does seem silly to me though, since it really would be costing the insurance company less if they did cover the midwife.

9. Brandi Arnold Says:
    December 18th, 2010 at 8:07 pm

I know I’m commenting on this late; but this is a subject I’m very passionate about. I had a doctor/hospital delivery my first two pregnancies…I had many interventions I didn’t want or need, so with my third baby I decided to do something about it. I had a wonderful doula my third time around and it was an entirely different experience; I felt like I finally acheived something I’d been waiting for my whole life. My fourth time around, I decided I was going to have a midwife, come what may. The entire prenatal care experience was a revalation. No more rushed visits; having my tummy prodded as if it didn’t belong to me. The midwives looked me in the eyes and asked how I was feeling. My insurance did not cover ANY of the birth, and we are a lower income family with young children; I did not have the money for it, but it was too important for me to not make this investment in myself and my baby. I went on to have two births at a wonderful birth center, with two ten-pound babies that a doctor would have insisted were too big to be delivered safely. I got to bring my babies home within 4 hours of birth, to snuggle in my own bed. The postpartum care is amazing, the midwives come to your house, sit on your bed and TALK to you. Please, please don’t doubt how important this time is. I paid out of pocket twice; although it meant making sacrifices, and it was worth every penny and more. I would suggest going to a birth center and speaking to them; many of them work on a sliding scale, and then after BEING in that environment you will be in a better position to say if it’s important enough to you to make this decision. Also the documentary “The business of being born” is excellent and provides a lot of food for thought. I hope you will be able to have the pregnancy and birth experience you were hoping for; believe me, if I can do it, ANYONE can! Best wishes!

Comments