Establishing Routines

By Cedar | October 12, 2010

Since becoming pregnant I have begun to think about all the things that I need and want to get done before the baby arrives. I have a lot of goals I want to accomplish and a lot of projects I want to finish. I also know that very soon I will have a lot less time to spend on myself, my house, my friends, etc. If I don’t start forming some new habits now it will only get more difficult later down the road.

Organization is a big one for me, as it is with many people. My house always seems to be mostly clean, but there are always piles of ‘stuff’ tucked away places. These things move around a bit. One day they will be on the kitchen table, after clearing it for dinner they will end up on the bedroom floor, and the next day stuffed behind some more junk in the closet. I want to either eliminate these piles or find a real spot to put them. Organization shouldn’t be so difficult, but I really need to establish some sort of a system in order to deal with all this stuff. I plan on starting with our hall closet and taking out things that are just placed there because they have nowhere better to be. In doing all this this I also plan on donating quite a lot of stuff to the thrift shop, as I really am going to need more space for the baby things we are already accumulating.

Establishing a cleaning schedule is another thing I need to get in the habit of. My house is usually in pretty good shape, but this is due to running around like a crazy person tidying up before a guest comes by. If instead of relying on the hours before a friend arrived to clean, I did the vacuuming a certain day of the week, the bathroom another, and so on, life really would be a lot easier. It would also save me during those embarrassing times when someone drops by unannounced, and I have to apologize for the state of my house. This week I want to sit down and figure out a schedule that seems realistic, and really work towards sticking with it. Cleaning doesn’t have to be such a chore if it is broken up throughout the week.

Another thing I want  to do is get more consistent with my hair styling. I love nothing more than having an easy to care for do, but with a baby on the way it really is becoming more essential. I am already starting to feel self conscious due to my expanding waistline, so I have been making an extra effort to get my face, hair, and nails looking their best. When the baby does come, I don’t want to use him or her as an excuse not to continue caring for my appearance in such a manner. I want to continue to look polished, with neat hair, fresh face, and nice clothes. I bought rollers that stick to the hair, and don’t need to be clipped in (as I had been previously using) for ease. I also bought some of those bendy triangular shaped clips to pin curl my hair at night and tie up in a scarf. I had tried in the past to use standard clips, but they poke my head too much, making for an uncomfortable nights sleep. I also tried bobby pins, which when they aren’t flying across the room while I try to open them, are really a pain to put in (and they chip my nails if I am not careful!). The bendy clips I found are perfect, since they lay flat to the head. Anyhow, I have been trying my hardest to put in the clips every night (except for when I plan on washing my hair the next morning), and what I have found is I am actually spending LESS time on my hair than when I would not curl it, but pin it up in some ‘easy’ hair style.

The older I get the more I realize that people really are creatures of habit. I am really hoping that I can hold onto as much of my new routines as possible throughout this pregnancy and after the baby is born. I am sure it will be difficult in the beginning, but hopefully with this early preparation I can figure out how to work these things into my new life.

7 Responses to “Establishing Routines”

1. Diana Horel Says:
    October 12th, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Check out FlyLady Cedar. Great routines. Good luck. I need to do the same. But I can’t even manage to pack and donate right now!

2. 50sgal Says:
    October 17th, 2010 at 7:11 am

Well, you know mean and lists and schedules. I was horrid pre 1955 and still, even now, have a drawer here and there that needs a good going over. But, rather than it seeming a thing to put off or to fear, I just add it to the list and when it’s day arrives, out come all the contents, sorted and reorganized. Then it is easier to keep it that way.
    You can do it and before you child coming is such a good time. As the habits you exhibit with your child will be your child’s second nature. If you, without thinking, clean and organize your child will follow suit. Also, though I have NO experience in the child arena, I bet if you can keep the amount of ‘baby things’ down your life and your childs will be more organized and less chaotic. The few people I know who have children are always under a ‘sea of things’ but, honestly, how many plastic toys and bags of clothes does a child honestly need? In my way of thinking, I bet it only clouds the child’s choices and makes decision making harder. Let’s face it, we modern people are wishy washy and I think it is because we have too much and too many decisions. So, that is my 2 cents and good for you, I KNOW you can do it, I did!

3. 50sgal Says:
    October 17th, 2010 at 7:11 am

I meant to say “You know ME and My Lists and Schedules”.

4. Cedar Says:
    October 17th, 2010 at 7:16 am

Donna–I agree, it really is incredible to see how many toys babies have….and then as they grow into children (who can actually play with these toys!) the number of toys only multiplies. I definitely plan on keeping the number of toys down….for clutter reasons as well as the simple fact that so many toys aren’t necessary (and in my opinion encourage creative play). I plan on making a lot of toys myself for when he or she is a baby…I have a vintage pattern I plan on starting soon for little stuffed animals (horses, ducks, dogs, and things).

5. Krizstina Says:
    November 6th, 2010 at 4:51 pm

Heya :) I have the same silly problem. I don’t work so why does my house seem so messy…..

I went hunting and found this web page. I had to tweak the schedule a bit for my house but I’ve been following it religiously (for the most part) for the past few months and I’m *LOVING* my house. It’s so clean!

I do have a walk in closet in a spare room that’s got way more clutter than it should but….at least I can just shut the door and pretend it’s not there (until company visits and I have to come up with another plan).

6. Steph Says:
    November 16th, 2010 at 4:54 am

Hey, just found your blog. Some of what you say in this post resonates strongly- reminds me of me a few years ago! There’s an old English verse:

“Wash on Monday,
    Iron on Tuesday,
    Bake on Wednesday,
    Brew on Thursday,
    Churn on Friday,
    Mend on Saturday,
    Go to meeting on Sunday.”

I kind of sub in other regular duties for churning and brewing. Like shopping and vacuuming. It really helps to set yourself one major task for the day, and then when it’s finished and you tidied up, the rest of the day is yours. :)

I worried a LOT during pregnancy about becoming one of those women who let themselves go and blame it on the kid. Then I realized I didn’t have to choose letting myself go. Something about that empowered me greatly.

Also, Victory Rolls (once you learn to do them, it can take a while) are one of the most practical and hard-wearing vintage hairstyles I ever tried. It takes less than five minutes to go from blah to fab, and it stays in place all day. I go swimming in my rolls sometimes. Hair stays out of the face.

Anyway, enough from me, I’m off to do some reading in your blog.

7. Kelli Maielli Says:
    November 28th, 2010 at 4:59 pm

I have the same problem, and although you posted this a month ago…there is a helpful section on Apartment Therapy called The 20/20 Cure that I’m going to try. It’s here: http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/ny/fall-cure-2010/day-1-clean-the-floor-and-surfaces-of-one-room-the-2020-home-cure-129689

Comments