Vintage Dinnerware

By Cedar | November 20, 2009

One thing in my home that I have always wanted an upgrade on are my dishes. I have a ton of vintage pieces, most of which seem to be serving bowls or platters, but none are matching. I don’t even want to get started on the dishes we use on a daily basis. I am still eating out of a mix of hideous Ikea bowls and a set of unmatching various floral patterned thrift store plates.This drives me crazy when I want to invite guests over for a fancy dinner party.

Lately I have been looking into different sets of dinnerware that I can start investing in. I don’t really have the funds right now to buy an entire set, but I have found a few different lines that I love, and hope to start buying pieces and build up a set over time.

The first, which I discovered about two years ago, when I picked up a serving dish from the collection at a thrift store, is Franciscan Oasis.

Franciscan Oasis

Anyone who watches Mad Men will recognize this next set from Betty Draper’s kitchen. These are Vernon Ware Raffia. They are a bit more elegant than they appear in this photo. They are also green, but look tan here.

Vernonware Raffia

This set is really fun, and also from Vernon Ware. They are called Anytime.

Vernon Anytime

I really love this set. I like how the pitchers are in the complimentary blue color. This set is by Metlox called California Del Ray.

Metlox California Del Rey

I love all these dishes for different reasons. Right now I am really into the last set, but who knows how I will feel tomorrow. I may even find a set I like better than all these.

What do you think? Which set do you like best of these, or any other sets?

Images from ccdinnerware.com. If you want to find out more about vintage dishes check out HillHouseWares.com.

7 Responses to “Vintage Dinnerware”

1. Molly Says:
    November 20th, 2009 at 6:59 pm

It’s a good goal to have! All of those patterns are very pretty. I bought a partial set of Homer Laughlin desert lily at a garage sale. It’s very pretty. My long-term collection is Wedgwood turquoise Florentine, because it is expensive and I am poor…

admin Reply:

Hi Molly! I wasn’t familiar with either of those dishes, but checked them out on eBay. Both are lovely. I really love the Wedgewood set though, they are so elegant.

2. Beth Says:
    November 22nd, 2009 at 6:26 pm

You’ve hit on my current pet peeve. We eat off of white dishes from Crate & Barrel. They have lasted for 14 years without any breakage, which is the good thing. But something has happened to the finish, and they never really come clean. They always look grey and dingy. I also don’t like that modern dishes are so much larger than vintage ones. One more company conspiring to make us eat more. The only thing I do like about modern dish sets is the mugs rather than cup and saucers.

3. Emma Says:
    November 23rd, 2009 at 1:34 pm

I like the Vernon ‘Anytime’ one the best out of those. I’ve also got a bit of a thing for the Ridgway ‘Homemaker’ pattern at the moment: http://littleowlski.wordpress.com/2009/11/22/christmas-wish-list-no-1-ridgway-homemaker-cake-stand/ It’s amazing!!

4. Christmas 2009 « The Vintage Wife Says:
    December 29th, 2009 at 7:49 pm

[...] top of those amazing gifts my mother in law also got me this huge lot of the Vernonware Raffia dishes I was pining over in an earlier post. She kept asking what I wanted for Christmas– I guess [...]

5. Bren Dunks Says:
    June 2nd, 2010 at 7:18 am

I have a set of Vineyard and Antique Grape by Metlox. I would love to sell both sets. All are in mint condition except for one dinner plate and pepper shaker of the Vineyard. Thank you for considering this request.
    Bren Dunk….Tyler, Texas

6. Melissa Says:
    September 24th, 2010 at 6:00 pm

I love vintage dinnerware! I was interested in the Oasis pattern. I am not familiar with it and I love most things Mid-Century. Enjoyed the pics. I would love to hear more about your collection.

Comments