How to Cut Your Own Bangs

By Cedar | September 12, 2009

This is actually a post I made about a year and a half ago on my former blog. It was one of the most popular posts, so I saved the article (as well as a few others). I pulled it out now because it seems appropriate subject matter on this blog.

If you have ever had bangs, you know this scenario far too well. You go in for your normal hair cut every six to eight weeks, and within two weeks your bangs are back in your eyes. No sense going somewhere and paying to have just the bangs trimmed. So you either live with the hairs poking your eyeballs, or reach in the drawer for the scissors.

As a former hairstylist, I can’t tell you how many people I saw in the salon who had attempted to cut their own bangs, but things went horribly wrong, and the better front of their head was a mish mash of bangs, medium length hairs, and long hairs. However, with a little guidance, anyone can trim their own bangs.

To start you will need two hair clippies, a pair of hair shears, a comb, and a cape (unless you want hair everywhere).

Always cut your bangs dry. When you wet your hair down it stretches, and it is easy to cut your bangs shorter than you had planned. If you have any cowlicks around your face, cutting your bangs wet could be disastrous.

Decide how thick you want your bangs to be. Use your comb and make a straight line up from your nose to the where the bangs will begin. The farther back you go with the comb, the thicker they will be. Once you have found that spot drag the comb from that point and down to the outer edge of one of your eyebrows. Pin back the hair that is not to be included in the bangs. Repeat on the other side of you head. With your comb clean up the lines, making sure that both sides have an equal amount of hair, and move any hair that doesn’t belong back to the clippy. You should now have a nice, even triangle shape at the front of your forehead, with one point lined up with the edge of each eyebrow, and one point lined up with your nose.

audrey bangs

When cutting, I always start in the center and work my way out. Combing your hair down, determine exactly the length you want them to fall. Move your fingers a quarter to half inch down, so they are cut a little longer than where you wanted them. They will spring up a bit, and if you are unsure, always cut longer then take more off.

If you want to layer your bangs, pull them out with a comb, so the hair is at a right angle from the scalp. Decide how short you want the shortest layer to be, and with your fingers connect that point to the hair closest to your face, letting some of the front hair drop down from your fingers.

Want your bangs to look textured and whispy? Use the point cutting technique. With a section of bangs between your fingers, and about one inch of hair sticking out, use the scissors pointing at the hair and cut straight into it. Do so throughout your bangs, until you have the desired texture. Be very careful doing this though, it is easy to snip the inside of your fingers with this method.

Remember Cut slowly. You can always take more hair off, but you can’t put it back. If you are unsure, watch how your stylist does it at your next appointment, and ask questions about her techniques.

14 Responses to “How to Cut Your Own Bangs”

1. Jessica Says:
    November 20th, 2009 at 4:09 pm

I followed you here from Sew Retro :) I just wanted to say that I remember this post from your old blog…had no idea you have a new blog. This tutorial helped me cut my bangs one year ago…and I have been doing it ever since! Very good tutorial and thanks so much for sharing it with the world.

admin Reply:

Hello Jessica! This blog is pretty new, and a lot more relaxed than the old blog. Unlike my old blog I don’t have a regular update schedule, which saves me a lot of unneeded stress.
    That is fantastic that you are still cutting your bangs from the tutorial! I really am glad to hear it helped, bangs can be so bothersome if you have to wait to see a stylist to get them cut!!

2. How to Thrift Like a Pro « The Vintage Wife Says:
    March 4th, 2010 at 9:49 pm

[...] my tutorial on How to Cut Your Own Bangs, this is an article I wrote several years ago for my previous blog. I have had lots of questions [...]

3. Cut your own bangs | Bohemian Revolution Says:
    April 2nd, 2010 at 12:30 pm

[...] you try this. It’s sometimes hard to tell the bangs layer from other layers. There’s a method to finding them (click over for a helpful illustration): Use your comb and make a straight line up from your nose [...]

4. astra28 Says:
    March 22nd, 2011 at 9:09 pm

what if one does not part their hair in the middle, do you still start the bangs from right over the nose?

5. whitney Says:
    May 22nd, 2011 at 10:51 am

Thanks, so much…i wish there were more step by step pictures included!!!!

6. Sparrow Says:
    January 27th, 2012 at 8:25 pm

astra28: I part my hair on the side but I parted it in the middle in order to use this technique to add new bangs to my hair and then parted it on the side again as usual and it looks great.

I would definitely advise using this technique (with a center part), even for bangs worn with hair parted on the side. It’s just too hard to figure out where the bangs are otherwise.

7. Snip, Snip, Snip « The Hemborg Wife – Expat In Training Says:
    July 5th, 2012 at 4:35 am

[...] I used this online tutorial: The Vintage Wife Bang Cutting [...]

8. Deena Z Says:
    August 20th, 2012 at 5:00 pm

thank yoU!! this was super helpul :) I cut my own bangs and they look great!

9. Erin Says:
    October 16th, 2012 at 3:17 pm

I didn’t want to spend money to get my bangs cut, and this was a great guide! Thanks for posting it, you’ve taught a college student valuable skills. :)

10. Soltana Says:
    December 21st, 2012 at 4:00 am

I’ve been feeling bored with my hair lately, but I have vowed that I would grow it out to it’s original length. So this tutorial is going to help me do something new with my hair. And if it goes terribly I can always pin it back. Thanks for the tips!

11. Zen Says:
    January 24th, 2013 at 7:53 pm

Thank you so much for the Audrey Hepburn diagram! That was the most helpful bit of information I’ve found anywhere for cutting bangs into my hair which is currently a long bangless blunt cut. I found your site an hour ago and right now I’m sporting my cute new ‘do thanks to YOU!

12. Leigh Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 9:36 am

Wow! I have never had bangs – that was my younger sister’s look. She had the bob with bangs and I had the side-part bob. Well, now as an almost-thirty I have long straight layers and BANGS! Your tutorial was perfect! Thank you :)

13. Sherry Says:
    May 25th, 2014 at 7:43 am

Best tutorial ever, less confusing or intimidating than all the YouTubes. Thanks~!

Comments